Friday, February 17, 2017

"But isn't this what has always made America great? That we are a country of immigrants, constantly inventing and reinventing? Take that photo up there of my dad, Dan Rapoport, and his father, David Rapoport. My grandfather emigrated from what is now Belarus in 1923, and he and my grandmother raised my dad and uncle in Flushing, Queens.

Today, the once-Jewish neighborhood of single-family homes is solidly Asian and a one-stop destination for a world of cuisines. A plaque with Korean characters is affixed to the doorway of my father's old house. And on a recent visit, thanks to some snooping around on my part (hey, no one was home!), what did I notice around on the back patio? Six beautiful ceramic kimchi pots, carefully set upon wooden pallets. That made me smile. And I would like to think that my food-savvy father, who passed away in 2012, is also smiling. Because if you're going to love kimchi, and all the other amazing food this country has to offer, you've got to love the people who make it, too."

From the March 2017 issue of Bon App├ętit's Editor's Letter. Written by Adam Rapoport.

No comments:

Post a Comment