Wednesday, July 01, 2009

i'm not sure how it is at other restaurants, but at work we have to be very vocal about our sense of space. we always yell, "CORNER!" or "BEHIND!" or "COMING UP!" and other shit like that if there's even a chance of running into a coworker with plates or glasses in their hands, it doesn't matter where we are.

when i work at the pass of the restaurant as a runner, i have to yell "BEHIND!" every time i approach to let the expeditor know, just in case he turns around and knocks into me. trust me, i approach the pass countless times a night and always wanted to get someone to count the times i say it. anyway, all day i yell/scream this shit at work and while it was very weird to me at first, i'm so used to it now that i get the natural urge to do it outside of work. when i'm turning a corner anywhere, i always want to yell "CORNER!" but always manage to stop myself. it's worst with people because if they're in my way, i just want to yell "BEHIND! or "COMING THROUGH!"

it's also funny because sometimes i have no control over what i'll say. i remember once i work, i was coming out of a corner and instead of yelling "CORNER!" i yelled "AGUA!" yes, random. then today as i was going down some stairs and about to turn a corner, i yelled, "CORN!"

seriously though, why are all my mild vocal-spasms related to food??

6 comments:

  1. So true! I heard you saying "behind, behind" soooo many times last night.It's hilarious that you say it outside of work too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahah, i think its a good way to avoid accidents. you might become like Peter Griffen who can't control the volume of his voice after awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it'd be funny if you did that during sex.

    "BEHIND! BEHIND! BEHIND!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. funny to hear about stuff like this from someone else's place of work. your job sounds hectic :-D

    and lol@letopho

    ReplyDelete
  5. In crowded cities sometimes I wish people did announce where they are headed or even better, had stop lights ... I just hate it when people suddenly stop in the middle of a crowded street and one barely manages to avoid bumping into them. Once I almost pushed a retard who decided to do a "sudden stop" right in from of a stairwell (going down) during rush hour at Bowling Green when everyone exits the train. I swear I would have killed her (see her going down the stairs and pushing other innocent victims) had I not been able to stop on time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say (not yell), "Coming through." a lot on the subway when it's crowded. But I have yelled, "Move all the way back!" inside the bus when people won't do it.

    ReplyDelete