Sunday, November 28, 2010

i have less than a week left in seoul. it feels so surreal.

i will not be heading back to nyc, not just yet at least. on december 5th, i will be flying on a one-way ticket to thailand. while i have no money, don't know anyone in bangkok, don't speak thai, and don't know what to do or where to go as soon as i step off the airplane, i guess i just have to make it work somehow...

the reason that i'm not going home yet is because i want to write a book. yes, an actual book. it's scary for me to state this in public because now it means that i have to finally go through with it. i don't know if it will be good or if it will ever get published, but it's been my lifelong dream to write a novel and i must get it done. i know that if i don't take the opportunity to make it a priority now, then it might never happen.

why thailand, you ask? mostly for visa purposes---it's the only place that ended up working out. plus, i was looking to stretch every last dollar i have and hope to make it happen there. i'm not going there for vacation, but instead just to have a place where i can concentrate on getting my work done. i'm nervous about it all, but excited at the same time.

if you will be in bangkok within the upcoming months or have friends there i could meet, please let me know.

as for now, i'm still trying to come to grips that i will be leaving korea for a very long time. the korean military office called me again today to check on my decision. i let them know that i will definitely not be enlisting for two years in the military.

cheers to my to last week here---i plan to make it a good one.

8 comments:

  1. I have a friend in Bangkok and I'm pretty sure you'll hit it off. His name is Rukpong, or Pre, and you can email him at rukpong@pr-78.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be fine in Bangkok ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would really like to read the manuscript.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck in Thailand! And I know you will write a killer book.

    ~A

    ReplyDelete
  5. what an adventurous decision. i support that 100%. do your best- if it doesn't work out- who cares. at least you tried! you go boy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:44 PM

    hi I'm not even thai but I think you made a good choice. you can have some major fun/amazing experiences there, I've been there 5 times, almost every time I go back to vietnam we also take a short excursion to thailand. it's a blast and more importantly the people are very friendly and warm (I can't say the same for my own viet ppl). you should check out some expat blogs in case you get lost and confused, since this will be quite different from your korea experience (you're actually korean and know the language)

    I've followed your blog for a bit and hope things work out. the book sounds like an amazing idea. :) keep your head up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, sounds like a scary idea but at the same time exciting. Wish you the best, in Thailand and in your book :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. good shit!! godspeed to you. um, and is alphabetical up there jonathan? if so, that is a crazy coincidence because he is my roommate!

    ReplyDelete