Saturday, November 10, 2012

"Even if we aren't physically together, we are connected, as one. We create the story, and at the same time the story is what sets us in motion. Right?"

From 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. Page 745 (e-book edition).

After taking my time to read through it for over a year, I finally finished this book last night. Whew.

Subsequent to purchasing the hardcover when it was first released last fall, I realized 1Q84 was way too heavy to carry around on a daily basis---and so I purchased the e-book edition in addition to read on my iPad. Whether it's through the news, magazines, or books, I read on a daily basis so I would normally never take this long to go through a book. I think I went through 1Q84 at such a comfortable pace because on top of it being my first electronic book purchase and experience ever, the story's over 800 pages always seemed to just conveniently be there for me---like a good reliable friend---and so I took my time and read the book at my leisure, turning to it in those moments of need while here in Bangkok.

The story itself is pretty epic, and Haruki Murakami did a great job of making 1Q84 into something that only he could (and ever would) write. And I'm not sure if this was due to just having a larger number of pages---and therefore more content---but it seemed to me like this is the most sexual book of his so far as well.

In terms of reading books electronically, there were a few things about the experience which I found to be pretty convenient. It's nice to be able to simply just double-tap a word to find out its definition, or to be ale to do a word search of all 800 pages to refresh my memory on some characters or different parts of the storyline. And while my reluctance to try e-books has somewhat changed, I think I'll stick to the old fashioned way of turning pages with my fingers or underlining words and sentences with a good old pen instead if I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment