Sunday, November 03, 2013

It's hard to believe that I've been at my job for over a month now.

I started working in the office of a restaurant downtown in TriBeCa, and I've really been enjoying it. The small team that I work with is really nice and so awesome at what they do, so being able to learn from them has really been great. I also can't stress how nice it is to not only be working a job with regular office hours again---which is a first for me since '09, but also back in the pace of a NYC working environment! I so missed being surrounded by efficient people who give a shit about what they're doing, it's seriously just wonderful to have coworkers like this again.

The restaurant I'm working at opened this past summer, so it's still somewhat new. I feel fortunate to have been hired when I was because within the weeks that I've been there, it feels like a lot of good stuff has happened, including getting reviewed by major NYC newspapers/publications like The New York Times, New York Post, The Village Voice, etc. Being a part of the staff and having the chance to contribute to the restaurant's operations makes me really proud and happy, and I hope my bosses and colleagues feel the same way, too.

Besides work, everything else is fine. Today I made a trip to Jackson Heights by myself to run an errand, and walking on Roosevelt Avenue underneath the tracks of the 7 train really made me think of my childhood. Since the weather was so nice, I decided to stroll from 74th Street to 90th Street and back, and the energy along the streets really pumped me up. There's so many ethnic restaurants, bars and stores along Roosevelt, and seeing people out and about on a Saturday evening was nice. The rumbling of the 7 train overhead felt so familiar too and in a way, comforting as well. I popped in a few food places and tried some things here and there, and was pretty stuffed by the time I hopped back onto the F train to come back into the city.

I haven't really been doing much else as of late. I hang out with my friends, get drunk with them every now and then, and if I'm lucky, eat some quality food at some cheap spot or at a nice restaurant. Now that I actually have weekends off and like a normal person don't end work in the late-night hour, I've been trying to find more ways to take advantage of my work hours. I'm always trying to keep busy with my new schedule and look for new activities or things to try, but I haven't been very successful at it though. Usually, I just end up walking around the city or just people watching somewhere alone, which is generally fine for me. However, I would like to do new things and meet some different people every now and then. Oh well, I guess all that will happen with time. As of now, I'm pretty content with life. That's not to say that all is perfect, but hey---no complaints from me. I'm working on things one thing at a time...

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:19 AM

    i have been following your blog for a while, very happy with the news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the new job. Glad you are enjoying it.

    Yes, efficient people who care about their work is important.

    ReplyDelete