Thursday, March 26, 2015

Today's weather in New York seemed like the first time in the entire year to hit over 60 degrees. Even though it was dreary, rainy, and somewhat humid out, it was still nice to go outside and not be freezing cold.

My work is located on 25th Street near the Flatiron Building. I'm lucky that I sit by a window, and was able to crack it open today to get some air circulating into the office because the temperature and humidity from outside had it feeling stuffy. It was after 3 o'clock when some coworkers and I noticed a smell of something burning. It definitely wasn't coming from anywhere in our office, and we realized the odor was being wafted in through the open window.

It was soon after when we all learned about the building explosion in the East Village on 2nd Avenue and 7th Street. Watching it unfold in realtime through news outlets, blogs and social media was engrossing, considering how many countless times I've walked down that block in my life. And I couldn't believe that the smell from the fire was so potent and strong even from my office, forcing us to close the window at some point.

It's crazy how such damaging and life-changing results can happen in an instant. My thoughts and prayers go out to those who were hurt and are still missing because of this terrible event.

No comments:

Post a Comment