Friday, June 26, 2015

"In a long-sought victory for the gay rights movement, the Supreme Court ruled by a 5-to-4 vote on Friday that the Constitution guarantees a right to same-sex marriage." 

From the June 26, 2015, New York Times article, Supreme Court Ruling Makes Same-Sex Marriage a Right Nationwide. Written by Adam Liptak.

Let's celebrate!

It's humbling to think about all the progress that's been achieved for LGBT rights within my lifetime. I'm hoping that the generation I belong to will be the last to grow up in America thinking being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender is something wrong or shameful. No one deserves to ever feel less than when they are simply being their true self. When that happens, its negative impact seeps into so many different parts of life with results that sometimes requires a lot of work to heal.

Thinking about this being the start of a new societal norm, it's exciting how civilization will continue to grow and evolve into something that might be unfathomable to us living right now. But I am so humbled to be who I am through these current times, because everything that is going on really does mean so much. Reminiscing back to when I was a kid, it never crossed my mind that things would actually change because that just seemed like how life worked.

It's freeing to know that who I am is now legally deemed as equal to the majority of society. Thank you to all the people who worked so hard to make this happen. I often remember life in stages of a before and after, and this is definitely a beginning to something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment