Tuesday, June 12, 2018

The thing about the average NYC apartment is they're not that big. They come in all shapes and layouts, but the term "spacious" is not something that pops into mind often. That's also the case for my current apartment. It's totally fine and I like it here, but my fire alarms always goes off if I cook something oily in a pan for too long. It's because one fire alarm is at the end of the hallway towards the back bedroom, which isn't too far from the kitchen. There's no good ventilation around there, so the smell gets trapped. And it'll make the fire alarm go off, which instantly activates the one in my room that's on the other side of a nearby wall. The sound is so piercing and totally puts me in panic mode. It usually takes a few back-and-forths of me sprinting between the two while I jab at each with the end of my Swiffer Sweeper stick before there's silence again. Thinking about having to deal with this has actually stopped me from making certain kinds of food sometimes. I know this could be a good way to kickstart a policy of cooking healthier stuff, but dammit I'm just not ready for that yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment