Thursday, January 17, 2019

Whenever I interact with someone else who has adult braces like myself, I'll usually try to make small talk with them. I'll casually just ask a simple question about how they like having them or how much longer until they're done with it.

I went to Herald Square today to run an errand and buy something. And while I was being rung up, I noticed that the nice young lady behind the counter had braces so I sparked a conversation about them. She was super friendly, and I also saw that she was working the register with her left hand while pressing into her right jaw with a few fingers on her other hand. She then began to tell me about how she has to go in for an emergency check-up with her orthodontist because some of her brackets broke and the wiring on her braces were messed up. When I asked about what happened, she told me just had just gotten punched in the face the other day. I stood there a bit stunned and immediately asked, "You got punched?! How? Why?" "I was just walking down the street and this girl punched me. I live in the Bronx," she replied. She didn't seem angry or upset, but was more telling me in a matter-of-fact way. I couldn't believe this random act of violence that happened to her, and felt terrible about it. "I'm in pain though, and that's why I'm pressing into my jaw like this right now," she added. I again expressed my sympathy and she smiled and said she'll totally be fine. Even though this had happened to her, she was still at work with a great attitude, and providing professional customer service. I appreciated it so much that for the first time ever, I went to the website listed on the receipt to take one of those special surveys about my shopping experience.

To the girl that helped me today, I wish you all the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment