Saturday, October 02, 2010

"Can I be honest with you, Mr. Wind-up Bird ? I mean, really, really, really honest? Sometimes i get sooo scared! I'll wake up in the middle of the night all alone, hundreds of miles away from anybody, and it's pitch dark, and I have absolutely no idea what's going to happen to me in the future, and I get so scared i want to scream. Does that happen to you, Mr. Wind-up Bird?"

the wind-up bird chronicles, by haruki murakami. page 449.

i first read this book almost ten years ago, and started it to re-read it a month ago in korea. i finished it when i was in japan and was pleasantly surprised at how much more positive my experience of reading it was. prior, it wasn't one of my top choice murakami books, but i thoroughly enjoyed it a lot more this time around.

one of my favorite lines is the quote above. it's exactly how i feel when i wake up in my windowless room in seoul.

3 comments:

  1. that book is my all time favorite of murakami :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that quote is a spot-on.

    aren't we all, deep down inside, afraid of loneliness? i know i am.

    btw, hi :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww...don't worry, you're not the only one afraid of what's going to happen in the future. =)

    ReplyDelete