Tuesday, September 25, 2012

"You gotta be hard, you gotta be tough, you gotta be stronger
You gotta be cool, you gotta be calm, you gotta stay together.

From the song You Gotta Be by Des'ree.

When I was living in Seoul a couple of years ago and was unable to find any sort of professional work, I started a part-time gig as a bartender at a gay bar to be able survive.

I remember the evening of my first shift working at the bar, and I was pretty nervous. Twenty minutes before I had to be at the bar, I sat down on a quiet curb on a nearby street and listened to this Des'ree song over and over. It eventually helped ease my anxiety that night, and I remember feeling a little bit better before going into work.

I'm having a bit of an off-day today, and I found myself naturally gravitating towards this song again. Ah, I love the power of music.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:26 AM

    You can do it!

    Work hard and be kind and rewards will come your way, I truly believe they will! And always try and think positive!

    <3 YS

    ReplyDelete