Thursday, March 28, 2013

It's funny that even though it's illegal for them to do so, a lot of NYC taxi drivers frequently do seem to have these spirited and/or sometimes pensive conversations on their cellphones---usually clandestinely and in a foreign language---while transporting their fares. 

Wondering about what all these Chatty Cathy cabbies could possibly be talking about has always been perplexing, because I noticed that whenever this happens, many times they'll be on the same phone call while dropping me off as they were on when they picked me up, with no signs showing that they're even close to hanging up anytime soon. I often imagined these drivers being on that same conversation for hours, just gabbing about as they do their rounds in the city.

Here's this week's SHOUTS & MURMURS section of The New Yorker that so aptly captures this.


(I thoroughly enjoyed this week's edition of SHOUTS & MURMURS and it took it upon myself to produce these images to post on my blog with my digital subscription to The New Yorker. All rights are reserved by The New Yorker and will be removed upon request).

No comments:

Post a Comment