Tuesday, July 13, 2010

i understand that i'm in a new country with societal and cultural norms that are different from what i'm used to. i always try to keep an open mind and try to embrace these differences as learning lessons that will help me overall through my time here, but there is one thing about korean culture that drives me absolutely bonkers: WHY DO PEOPLE WEAR CLOTHING WITH SO MUCH NONSENSICAL ENGLISH ON IT???

holy shit, sometimes i read text on people's clothes and want to violently shake them and ask, "DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE F* YOU'RE WEARING???"

i guess i just believe in sincerity and knowing/loving/understanding what i have and what i choose to represent myself with, whether it's clothing with some text on it, a tattoo on my body, etc. i've asked my native cousins about this issue and they say most koreans have no idea what their shirts say and wear them because they like the design and the way it looks. but don't people understand that all words have meaning that should be respected? when i see people walking around with all this bullshit on, it just makes me not take them seriously. but then i think, maybe i'm just too serious and need to pull the-big-nyc-stick out of my ass?

...nah, don't think so.

4 comments:

  1. lol i just imagined you shaking random people on the street.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They exist in a lot of cultures. sites like Engrish.com and hanzismatter.com exist for that. I think it's pretty hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehehe just like Dannie I was imagine you shaking people on the street! :D hehehe, and yes I'm so agree, sometimes people wear shirt with text on it, without even acknowledge what is really about. so sad.

    just like people who wear a cool band shirt, but have no idea about the band, or even heard their music, just try to look cool. but it's not working.

    and oh! thank you so much for stopping by at my blog! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. It happens in the US all the time. There are soooo many people in NYC who have tattoos of Chinese characters that are written incorrectly.

    Then there are the Yassir Arafat/Palestinian head scarves that were very trendy a couple years ago. Kids think it's a fashionable accessory but it's primarily a political statement for the Palestinians.

    ReplyDelete