Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thailand's rainy season has finally ended, and sudden downpours and rainstorms are becoming a lot more less frequent and far in between. On top of that, the temperature is no longer unbearably hot, making simple tasks such as getting around Bangkok and walking solo around the city much more pleasant.

Even though it's Thanksgiving week, it's easy to feel disconnected from it all while alone here in Thailand. I'm still trying to figure out what I should do to celebrate, but it'll most likely be a regular Thursday for me here. Going to some special restaurant or buffet to enjoy some traditional Thanksgiving dishes doesn't sound all that particularly interesting since I'd be unaccompanied. It would be nice to have some American friends here (or friends at all for that matter) to observe the holiday together, but alas, that's not my current reality.

Overall, things are still good for me here. I think I vacillate between appreciating/needing my time alone and wanting to be social every now and then, but I've sort of come to value not having to deal with anybody but myself. I know that sounds like an immodest statement, but I mean it in the most unassuming and complication-free way.

To all the countless Americans who are preparing for a busy week ahead of travel, cooking, and family time, I'd like to wish you all safe travels and a very warm and loving Thanksgiving.

As for me, I am thankful for my health, friends and family back home, and the fact that all is well and uneventful here for me in Thailand.

Happy Thanksgiving, America!

No comments:

Post a Comment