Monday, May 05, 2014

Winter in NYC is officially over, and it feels so invigorating to be able to enjoy the city and just walk around again. This past winter was pretty damn brutal, so not having to step out of the house into frigid and tortuous temperatures anymore is a real treat. I can't even bear to look at my peacoat another day until it gets cold again, and so I therefore happily bid it its long overdue farewell.

And with a new season comes some new changes in life. A little more than a month ago, I started a side weekend gig waiting tables in Williamsburg. I'm still working my regular office job in TriBeCa from Monday-Friday. Not having any days off in the week can be grueling at times, but eh, I'll live. The transition of working this new weekend job has been pretty smooth though, luckily because I'm working with some old coworkers and acquaintances from an East Village restaurant I used to work at years ago. This new restaurant I'm working at is cozy and pretty low-key, which I really like and appreciate. I've also never worked in the neighborhood before, so it's been nice seeing all the locals and folks who chill around the area. For the most part, the majority of customers are friendly and easygoing, but then of course there will always be those certain guests that are just a pain in the ass. I haven't waited tables since I was working at a restaurant in Venice Beach last year, but it really is like riding a bike. The unfamiliar newness of any job can be daunting, but having been able to get used to things in the past month has helped me finally find my own rhythm and pace of work. And then of course I can remember all my old methods on how to deal with specific types of annoying customers. Most of the restaurant's diners are really nice though, so striving to provide them with good efficient service and a quality experience is something that I'm more than happy to do. In a weird way, I usually have moments where waiting tables can feel extremely fulfilling when I know people leave the restaurant feeling merry and satisfied after having an awesome time. However, if I never in my life had to explain gluten-free options from a menu again or bust my ass for some dickhead who will just always be an asshole when they dine out, well I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Something else that I'm really excited about right now is that in a few weeks, my friend Junho and I will be moving into a new apartment together! Since returning to NYC last July, I've basically been couch surfing and living in somewhat unconventional living arrangements. That's why I'm beyond happy to finally have a place to call home, and have those simple things like a bed and my own room. Our new apartment is downtown in the Financial District and close to City Hall and the Brooklyn Bridge. I've never lived in that area before, so getting to know the neighborhood really well is going to be great. And one of the best parts of the new apartment will be the fact that I can walk to work within 10 minutes.

Alright, well it's passed 2am and I've got work tomorrow morning. The adrenaline from working a shift earlier tonight is slowly waning, and it's probably time that I try and hit the sack.

Good night, and happy Monday to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment