Monday, May 13, 2013

The weather in LA has definitely been getting noticeably hotter. It's like you step outside and can already feel the sun starting to burn your skin.  

I started taking public transportation here, and it's been great because I feel like gained some freedom back into my life. Depending on other people for rides is something I just have always hated, so riding public transportation growing up back in NYC is just what I'm used to. Exploring by bus out here in Los Angeles has been really good for me. It's really given me the ability to survey the city and get a better sense of its energy. And thankfully, I live in a somewhat central part of town and have been able to figure out how to get to Hollywood, Venice, Little Tokyo, and other spots from where I am. It's funny though because when I did finally get myself to take the bus out here for the very first time, a thought crossed my mind as I sat at a window seat by myself. Sitting down and staring out the window as the bus revved along under me felt so comfortable and familiar, and in a way I just felt like my self again. (Yeah, I know I'm a loser). The last time I had been on a city bus was back in Bangkok, and over there I was completely independent. Things are a bit different out here in LA, and there's definitely no way for me to get around comfortably to where I want to go to without a car. I mean, I accept that about it here and acknowledge that I'm the loser who's waiting for the bus. But still, taking the bus allows me to get to work and some other random places, and I'm grateful for that. There's also this car service app that my friend introduced me to, so it's nice to have options I guess. One thing however that I am experiencing for the first time is that the lack of tall buildings and trees in LA---except for the Downtown area---doesn't provide any shade. The clear blue background creates nice stark lines in the sky, but my skin however is more tan than it ever was even back in Bangkok. You know, I'm starting to appreciate and understand LA more, but one thing is that I'm not the type of person who needs to see the sun every day. But on most days, you wake up and bam, there it is again. 

Here's to the blue skies of Los Angeles.











2 comments:

  1. Welcome back to the blog-sphere. Glad to have you with us again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to the blog-sphere. Glad to have you with us again.

    ReplyDelete